Thursday, January 17, 2013

Racist Eggs

Last Friday there was supposed to be not a "strike" day, but a day of protest where there would be no teachers in the school; therefore, parents had to find alternate arrangements for their kids.

I don't know a single kid who was upset about it.

As it turned out, at 4a.m. on the day of the protest, they cancelled it. Which really sucked for everybody involved, except my kids.

My youngest son had a friend sleep over, and they probably went to bed just before the announcement was made. There was no way they were going to get up in time to make it for school, so I let them sleep.

When they finally woke, they wanted breakfast. Normally, PA days in my house are pancakes days., but not that day. They wanted omlettes. Colored omlettes.

I wondered if that was racist.

Whatever.

Out came the food coloring. Initially, Ethan wanted green omlettes (obviously he read too much Dr. Seuss as a child) but they ended up deciding on red.


Gross looking, I know, but they seemed happy enough.


I have these awesome green pans (shameless plug) that I use for eggs. God help anyone who touches them for anything else (ARE YOU LISTENING ALAN? YES, I MEAN YOU!!!).

Turn the stove on high, add a little butter or oil or whatever fat you use to grease the pan, get it sizzling, and as soon as it is sizzling, pour the eggs in and turn it right down to the lowest setting. The eggs should spit and bubble, and then settle down. I added some sharp old cheddar (my favorite is the 5 year old Balderson I get from Costco), although you could easily use any type of cheese you like.


I then added spinach.


Cover it with a lid, and let it slowly cook and melt the cheese. Check it every few minutes. Once nothing runs anymore, you can flip the eggs closed, cook it for another minute or two and then it should slide right out of the pan.

Each kid got half an omlette, which was approximately 2 eggs. It turned out a bit more pink than red, but they liked it just the same.


Once the food coloring was out, they then decided they wanted to do some scientific esperiments. Ethan was in the middle of this book called "101 Great Science Experiments" that he got from the school library, where you make an underwater volcano effect using hot and cold water and food coloring.

We started with the yellow, and it proceeded from there with every color we had.


And then they started layering. With multiple colors. Starting with dark colors going to light, and then the reverse.


I think they learned more at home that day, overall. A friend of mine (who sent their kid to school) said their kids watched movies all day. Educational movies, I'm sure.





No comments:

Post a Comment