Thursday, February 28, 2013

Miso Glazed Wild Call of Duty On Spinach

I went shopping yesterday and picked up some wild Pacific cod. When I told my kids we were having Cod for dinner, they said: "Oh COOL! Call of Duty!", which is their newest video game that I don't approve of. Hence, the miso glazed cod became miso glazed call of duty.

What I like about cod is its wild and has a lovely rich flavor without being "fishy". I generally don't like eating farmed fish, and I am trying stay away from fish that is really high on the endangered list, like Atlantic Cod.

So I made a really simple glaze to marinate the fish in. To a small pot add equal amounts of rice vinegar and Sake. I probably used between a quarter cup and half a cup.



I prefer to use mirin but I was out, so I subbed with the vinegar. As for the sake, it would have worked better if I had used normal sake that you heat, but I hate to open a big bottle of it unless I plan to drink it all because it goes 'off' very quickly. I used a small bottle of cold sake, which is more like a beer. If I wasted the rest (yeah right) I wouldn't feel so bad or wasteful.



Boil them together for a minute or two, shut the heat and add about 3 heaping teaspoons of sugar. Stir to dissolve. Add a huge wodge of a light miso. I like the Light Yellow Miso by Cold Mountain. It is japanese style shiro miso and is GMO free. Its extremely flavorful and can be worked into a TON of dishes. I used approximately an equal amount of miso as I did of the vinegar and sake, so between 1/4-1/2 cup. Whisk to dissolve



Always taste as you go, so you can adjust if necessary. You can also decide at this point that you want a bit more flavor or a change to the flavor. I decided to add a bit of garlic (2 cloves) and ginger, a small nob (shut up all you dirty minded people).




Once it cools, taste it again to see if needs any adjustment. Pour it all into your handy dandy ziplock bag, and throw in your fish to marinate. It can marinate up to a day in the fridge. I left mine for 3 or 4 hours.


For some reason, blogger keeps turning my pictures sideways and I can't seem to fix it. So you will have to turn yourself or your computer sideways if you want to see this picture a little bit more accurately. It did the same thing to my Upside Down pear cake yesterday. The picture of the pecan/pear/butter mixture was upside down. Well.... it *was* an upside down cake... I guess that is blogger's attempt at humor. I think they need to stick to their day job. (And to those of you who suggest the same to me.... bite me. That is all.)

Back to the fish. Once it had marinated for an appropriate amount of time, I fast grilled it on a cast iron pan, and then finished it in the oven. I laid each partially cooked piece of fish on a bed of spinach, and poured a little marinade on top. Baked it for about 8 minutes, and then broiled the top for a minute or so, to get that lovely glaze. While I would love to show you pictures of all this, I couldn't find my phone so you will just have to take my word on it. It was good. Miso Glazed Call of Duty rocks. I found a picture online (photocredit: www.dallasnews.com) of what it looked like, sorta.



All in all, prep time was about 5 minutes, and cooking time was under 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment