Friday, November 16, 2012

Another Salmon Post

Ok, this is going to be a quick one, mostly because I am stressed and have no time, and not a lot of pictures of the salmon I made last week and forgot to post about. In the time it takes me to write this post, I could actually prepare this salmon. Its THAT easy.

It also only contains 4 ingredients. And most people have these ingredients in their homes.

Normally, I use only wild fish, but the other day T&T had farmed salmon filets on sale for something ridiculous like $3 point something a pound. I can't resist a bargain, and when something is *THAT* cheap, I figure it has to be fresh since they must go through an absolute TON of it.

I picked up a lovely and huge side of salmon and it only cost nine bucks. You read that right. NINE DOLLARS. It was enough to feed 6 people. Now THAT is a bargain.

Back to the recipe. In a ziplock bag, pour about 3/4 cup of orange juice, squeeze in about 1/4 cup ketchup (yes, I know that seems gross, but its not), about 1/4 cup soya sauce (I only use Bragg's because it is gluten free and really amino acids so is much healthier) and a few cloves of garlic crushed. Mix together, and toss your salmon in to marinate for a few hours. Please note that all measurements are guesses since I don't actually measure. As long as you don't add too much soy, you should be fine.

Set your barbeque to screaming hot, and put the fish on. I use a basket because it is so much easier to flip the fish and not have it fall into a bazillion pieces. It really pisses me off when that happens, because you lose half your fish!


As you can see, the fish is a bit too big for the basket. Who cares, it still works. So turn the heat down when you put the fish on, unless you like burned salmon. Personally, I like it seared but still a bit rare in the centre. With wild salmon you have to watch it like a hawk, or you will dry it out completely. There is less fat in wild fish, so it cooks quicker and dries out quicker.

Turn the fish after a few minutes, and I pour a bit more of the marinade on top to steam it and keep it moist. Cook for a few more minutes until it is BBQ'ed to the desired level of doneness. Serve with a garnish of lemon slices.

I was lucky enough to get this picture of the fish before it was completely gone. They descended on it like hungry buzzards and demolished it pretty fast.




4 comments:

  1. Wow...that's a real bargain indeed for $9!! Marinade sounds yummy and easy (will have to try!) ... also love the basket idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ketchup but gluten free special healthy soya sauce. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's organic ketchup! Home made! (Kidding. But I think I have a new "made from scratch" project now...

      Delete
  3. Sounds good!! Will have to try. Anything with ketchup has got to be good. I make a mean meatball with ketchup and gingeral

    ReplyDelete