Thursday, November 8, 2012

Ginger Snap-O-Rama

My son recently had a playdate at his friend Simon's house, and came back raving about the cookies his grandmother had made, and asked if we could make them. I said sure, and emailed them asking for the recipe, which they promptly sent me.

I love a good ginger snap, but haven't had too many good ones. Surprisingly, one of the best ones comes from Ikea. Go figure. My other favorites were from Trader Joes which sadly, we don't have here in Canada.

My hopes were high for these cookies, if my kid said they were awesome.

He was right. The cookies are awesome. I had to make a few changes to the recipe though - for one, we don't use margarine (bleh, its like eating yellow plastic) so I substituted butter, and I hate cloves so I only used a single clove, half of which got thrown out.

Cream the crap out of a cup of sugar and 3/4 cup butter.


Add 1/4 cup of molasses. I find its a good idea to oil the measuring cup otherwise the molasses sticks like nobodies business.
Add an egg and continue to beat the crap out of it.


In a separate container, mix 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp of ground ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 of a whole nutmeg, freshly ground, 1 single clove, ground (yes, only one measly clove) and 2 cups of flour. I mixed whole wheat and white flour, because I ran out of whole wheat. Once all this is mixed, add it to the butter mixture and mix until combined.

Pop it in the fridge for about half an hour to chill.

Roll out the dough, but use the flour liberally to stop it from sticking. It will stick anyway.

And make a huge mess.



I then used a bunch of cookie cut outs I found (including one shaped like a dog biscuit). I kept reusing the dough until it was all gone. However, by the third batch, I gave up on the cookie cutters and just smashed blobs down on the silpat sheet.


Sprinkle a bit of sugar on top for a little extra sweetness.

Bake in a 350 oven for anywhere from 13-17 minutes, depending on how thick and how well done you like them. I like them thin and well done. My kids like them fat and chewy.


Overall verdict? Absolutely delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment