Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Chicken Chicken: 5 Ideas

There are so many ways to use a grilled or baked chicken breast. I have a standard recipe that I use in several different ways.

First, rasp some garlic into about 1/4 cup of EVOO and let it sit while you prep everything else. It is a fast way to infuse the oil and make it extra yummy.



I lay the boneless, skinless breasts on a sheet of silver foil (makes for easy clean up) that I put on a baking tray. Use a pastry brush and cover both sides with olive oil.


Sprinkle liberally with Za'atar. If you don't know what Za'atar is, I suggest you run to your nearest middle eastern groceteria and pick some up. It is beyond yum. I use it in SO many things! More recipes with zataar will follow in subsequent blogs. Basically, it is hyssop, sesame, wild oregano and sumach. I get mine from this restaurant/groceteria called Sababa.


Squeeze half a lemon on top of the breasts and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes, turning once. Always check your chicken is cooked through, but you all know that. You may need to adjust your time depending on your oven. I find 4 decent sized breasts are done in 25 minutes. You could BBQ them if it isn't raining and miserable out. Last night was just too freaking cold for me to be outside, since I am still recovering from Vulcan Flu, so into the oven they went. Sliced them up, and served it as a cominbation between Meal Idea 1, Meal Idea 2, and Meal Idea 3. (see below)
Normally, here I would put a picture of the cooked chicken, but I forgot to take a picture, so use your imagination. Instead, have a look at my super cute puppy who hogged the whole bed last night.


Anyway, getting back to the chicken...

Remember to wash everything really well that the raw chicken touched. Nobody wants salmonella, coz that would just suck.

So, once you have your cooked breasts, WHAT TO DO?

MEAL IDEA 1:
Add it to Greek Salad. Between the feta and the chicken, you have a hearty meal with tons of veg, protein and tastiness.

MEAL IDEA 2.
Make it Middle Eastern. Add hummus, pitas, hot sauce, taheena and a salad with tomato, onion, cucumber and garlic, with a dressing made from EVOO, lemon and more za'atar.
Throw all the ingredients into the pitas and you have a yummy sandwich.

MEAL IDEA 3.
Make it into Fajitas. Add cheese (I like cheddar), sour cream, avocado, lettuce, tomatos and fajita wraps and you are off and running.

MEAL IDEA 4.
Make a pot of rice, some broccolli with garlic and Bob's Your Uncle. Dinner is ready.

MEAL IDEA 5.
Roast some potatoes with EVOO, a whatload of za'atar and some salt. Serve with the chicken and salad. Easy Peasy.

This chicken also makes excellent leftovers for lunch the next day.

Happy eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment